- Lesson1 Finding Fossil Man.
- Lesson2 Spare that spider.
- Lesson3 Matterhorn Man.
- Lesson4 Seeing hands.
- Lesson5 Youth .
- Lesson6 The sporting spirit.
- Lesson7 Bats.
- Lesson8 Trading standards.
- Lesson9 Royal Espionage.
- Lesson10 Silicon valley.
- Lesson11 How to Grow Old .
- Lesson12 Banks and their customers.
- Lesson13 The Search for Oil .
- Lesson14 The Butterfly Effect.
- Lesson15 Secrecy in Industry.
- Leaaon16 The modern city.
- Lesson17 A Man-made Disease.
- Lesson18 Porpoises.
- Lesson19 The Stuff of Dreams.
- Lesson20 Snake poison.
- Lesson21 William S. Hart and the Early Western Film .
- Lesson22 Knowledge and progress.
- Lesson23 Bird Flight.
- Lesson24 Beatuy.
- Lesson25 Non-Auditory Effects of Noise.
- Lesson26 The past life of the earth.
- Lesson27 The vasa.
- Lesson28 Patients and doctors.
- Lesson29 The Hovercraft.
- Lesson30 Exploring the sea-floor.
- Lesson31 The Sculptor Speaks.
- Lesson32 Galileo reborn.
- Lesson33 Education.
- Lesson34 Adolescence.
- Lesson35 Space Odyssey.
- Lesson36 The cost of government.
- Lesson37 The Process of Ageing.
- Lesson38 Water and the traveller.
- Lesson39 What Every Writer Wants.
- Lesson40 Waves.
- Lesson41 Training Elephants.
- Lesson42 Recording an earthquake.
- Lesson43 Are There Strangers in Space.
- Lesson44 Patterns of culture.
- Lesson45 Of Men and Galaxies.
- Lesson46 Hobbies.
- Lesson47 The Great Escape .
- Lesson48 Planning a share portfolio.
Lesson19 The Stuff of Dreams.
Lesson19 The Stuff of Dreams.
录音：Lesson19 The Stuff of Dreams.（美音）
录音：Lesson19 The Stuff of Dreams.（英音）
Lesson19 The Stuff of Dreams.单词讲解
New Word and expressions 生词和短语
Lesson19 The Stuff of Dreams.课文讲解1
Lesson19 The Stuff of Dreams.课文讲解2
Lesson19 The Stuff of Dreams.课文讲解3
Lesson19 The Stuff of Dreams.课文讲解4
Lesson19 The Stuff of Dreams.课文讲解5
The stuff of dreams
First listen and then answer the following question.
What is going on when a person experiences rapid eye-movements during sleep?
It is fairly clear that sleeping period must have some function, and because there is so much of it the function would seem to e important. Speculations about is nature have been going on for literally thousands of years, and one odd finding that makes the problem puzzling is that it looks very much as if sleeping is not simply a matter of giving the body a rest. ‘Rest’, in terms of muscle relaxation and so on, can be achieved by a brief period lying, or even sitting down. The body’s tissues are self-repairing and self-restoring to a degree, and function best when more or less continuously active. In fact a basic amount of movement occurs during sleep which is specifically concerned with preventing muscle inactivity.
If it is not a question of resting the body, then perhaps it is the brain that needs resting? This might be a plausible hypothesis were it not for two factors. First the electroencephalograph (which is simply a device for recording the electrical activity of the brain by attaching electrodes to the scalp) shows that while there is a change in the pattern of activity during sleep, there is no evidence that the total amount of activity is any less. The second factor is more interesting and more fundamental. Some years ago an American psychiatrist named William Dement published experiments dealing with the recording of eye-movements during sleep. He showed that the average individual’s sleep cycle is punctuated with peculiar bursts of eye-movements, some drifting and slow, others jerky and rapid. People woken during these periods of eye-movements generally reported that they had been dreaming. When woken at other times they reported no dreams. If one group of people were disturbed from their eye-movement sleep for several nights on end, and another group were disturbed for an equal period of time but when they were no exhibiting eye-movements, the first group began to show some personality disorders while the others seemed more or less unaffected. The implications of all this were that it was not the disturbance of sleep that mattered, but the disturbance of dreaming.
CHRISTOPHER EVANS The stuff of dreams from The Listener
New words and expressions 生词和短语
新概念英语第四册Lesson19 The Stuff of Dreams。学习到此结束，同学们记得把课本的练习题做完留言哦。