- Lesson1 A Puma at Large.
- Lesson2 Thirteen equals one.
- Lesson3 An Unknown Goddess.
- Lesson4 The double life of Alfred Bloggs.
- Lesson5 The Facts.
- Lesson6 Smash-and-grab.
- Lesson7 Mutilated Ladies .
- Lesson8 A famous monastery.
- Lesson9 Flying Cats.
- Lesson10 The loss of the Titanic.
- Lesson11 Not Guilty.
- Lesson12 Life on a desert island.
- Lesson13 It’s only me.
- Lesson14 A noble gangster.
- Lesson15 Fifty Pence Worth of Trouble .
- Lesson16 Mary had a little lamb.
- Lesson17 The Longest Suspension Bridge in the World.
- Lesson18 Electric currents in modern art.
- Lesson19 A Very Dear Cat .
- Lesson20 Pioneer pilots.
- Lesson21 Daniel Mendoza .
- Lesson22 By heart.
- Lesson23 One man’s meat is.
- Lesson24 A skeleton in the cupboard.
- Lesson25 The Cutty Sark.
- Lesson26 Wanted: a large biscuit tin.
- Lesson27 Nothing to Sell and Nothing to Buy.
- Lesson28 Five pound too dear.
- Lesson29 Funny or Not.
- Lesson30 The death of a ghost.
- Lesson31 A Lovable Eccentric.
- Lesson32 A lost ship.
- Lesson33 A Day to Remember.
- Lesson34 A happy discovery.
- Lesson35 Lesson35 Justice was Done.
- Lesson36 A chance in a million.
- Lesson37 The Westhaven Express .
- Lesson38 The first calender.
- Lesson39 Nothing to Worry About.
- Lesson40 Who’s who.
- Lesson41 Illusions of Pastoral Peace.
- Lesson42 Modern cavemen.
- Lesson43 Fully Insured.
- Lesson44 Speed and comfort.
- Lesson45 The Power of the Press.
- Lesson46 Do it yourself.
- Lesson47 Too High a Price.
- Lesson48 The silent village.
- Lesson49 The Ideal Servant.
- Lesson50 New Year resolutions.
- Lesson51 Predicting the Future.
- Lesson52 Mud is mud.
- Lesson53 In the Public Interest .
- Lesson54 Instinct or cleverness?
- Lesson55 From the Earth Greetings.
- Lesson56 Our neighbour, the river.
- Lesson57 Back in the Old Country.
- Lesson58 A spot of bother.
- Lesson59 Collecting.
- Lesson60 Too early and too late.
Lesson7 Mutilated Ladies .
Lesson7 Mutilated Ladies .
录音：Lesson7 Mutilated Ladies .（美音）
录音：Lesson7 Mutilated Ladies .（英音）
Lesson7 Mutilated Ladies .单词讲解1
Lesson7 Mutilated Ladies .单词讲解2
New Word and expressions 生词和短语
Lesson7 Mutilated Ladies .课文讲解1
Lesson7 Mutilated Ladies .课文讲解2
Lesson7 Mutilated Ladies .课文讲解3
Lesson7 Mutilated Ladies .课文讲解4
Listen to the tape then answer the question below.
Why did Jane cook John’s wallet?
Has it ever happened to you? Have you ever put your trousers in the washing machine and then remembered there was a large bank note in your back pocket? When you rescued your trousers, did note in your back pocket? When you rescued your trousers, did you find the note was whiter than white? People who live in Britain needn’t despair when they made mistakes like this (and a lot of people do)! Fortunately for them, the Bank of England has a team called Mutilated Ladies which deals with claims from people who fed their money to a machine or to their dog. Dogs, it seems, love to chew up money!
A recent case concerns Jane Butlin whose fiancé, John, runs a successful furniture business. John had very good day and put his wallet containing $3,000 into the microwave oven for safekeeping. Then he and Jane went horse-riding. When they got home, Jane cooked their dinner in the microwave oven and without realizing it, cooked her fiancé’s wallet as well. Imagine their dismay when they found a beautifully-cooked wallet and notes turned to ash! John went to see his bank manager who sent the remains of wallet and the money to the special department of the Bank of England in Newcastle: the Mutilate Ladies! They examined the remain and John got all his money back. ‘So long as there’s something to identify, we will give people their money back,’ said a spokeswoman for the Bank. ‘Last year, we paid $1.5m on 21,000 claims. Damaged bank notes. The Queen’s head appears on English bank notes, and ‘lady’ refers to this.
New words and expressions 生词和短语
最近的一个案例与简.巴特林有关，她的未婚夫约翰拥有一家生意兴隆家具店。有一天约翰的生意很好，他把一只装有3,000 英镑的钱包放进微波炉内保存。然后，他和简一起去骑马。回家后，简用微波炉煮了晚饭，无意中之中把她未婚夫的钱包也一起煮了。可以想像他们发现一只煮得很好看的钱包，钞票已化成灰时的沮丧心情。约翰去找银行经理，经理把约翰的钱包和纸币的残留物送到英国银行在纽卡斯尔的一个专门部门——残钞鉴别组。他们鉴定了这些残留物。约翰拿回了他损失的全部数额。“只要有东西可供识别，我们会把钱还给人家的，”银行的一位女发言人说。“去年，我们对21，000 起索赔要求支付了150万英镑。”
新概念英语第三册Lesson7 Mutilated Ladies .学习到此结束，同学们记得把课本的练习题做完留言哦。