- Lesson1 A Puma at Large.
- Lesson2 Thirteen equals one.
- Lesson3 An Unknown Goddess.
- Lesson4 The double life of Alfred Bloggs.
- Lesson5 The Facts.
- Lesson6 Smash-and-grab.
- Lesson7 Mutilated Ladies .
- Lesson8 A famous monastery.
- Lesson9 Flying Cats.
- Lesson10 The loss of the Titanic.
- Lesson11 Not Guilty.
- Lesson12 Life on a desert island.
- Lesson13 It’s only me.
- Lesson14 A noble gangster.
- Lesson15 Fifty Pence Worth of Trouble .
- Lesson16 Mary had a little lamb.
- Lesson17 The Longest Suspension Bridge in the World.
- Lesson18 Electric currents in modern art.
- Lesson19 A Very Dear Cat .
- Lesson20 Pioneer pilots.
- Lesson21 Daniel Mendoza .
- Lesson22 By heart.
- Lesson23 One man’s meat is.
- Lesson24 A skeleton in the cupboard.
- Lesson25 The Cutty Sark.
- Lesson26 Wanted: a large biscuit tin.
- Lesson27 Nothing to Sell and Nothing to Buy.
- Lesson28 Five pound too dear.
- Lesson29 Funny or Not.
- Lesson30 The death of a ghost.
- Lesson31 A Lovable Eccentric.
- Lesson32 A lost ship.
- Lesson33 A Day to Remember.
- Lesson34 A happy discovery.
- Lesson35 Lesson35 Justice was Done.
- Lesson36 A chance in a million.
- Lesson37 The Westhaven Express .
- Lesson38 The first calender.
- Lesson39 Nothing to Worry About.
- Lesson40 Who’s who.
- Lesson41 Illusions of Pastoral Peace.
- Lesson42 Modern cavemen.
- Lesson43 Fully Insured.
- Lesson44 Speed and comfort.
- Lesson45 The Power of the Press.
- Lesson46 Do it yourself.
- Lesson47 Too High a Price.
- Lesson48 The silent village.
- Lesson49 The Ideal Servant.
- Lesson50 New Year resolutions.
- Lesson51 Predicting the Future.
- Lesson52 Mud is mud.
- Lesson53 In the Public Interest .
- Lesson54 Instinct or cleverness?
- Lesson55 From the Earth Greetings.
- Lesson56 Our neighbour, the river.
- Lesson57 Back in the Old Country.
- Lesson58 A spot of bother.
- Lesson59 Collecting.
- Lesson60 Too early and too late.
Lesson28 Five pound too dear.
Lesson28 Five pound too dear.
录音：Lesson28 Five pound too dear.（美音）
录音：Lesson28 Five pound too dear.（英音）
Lesson28 Five pound too dear.单词讲解1
Lesson28 Five pound too dear.单词讲解2
New Word and expressions 生词和短语
Lesson28 Five pound too dear.课文讲解1
Lesson28 Five pound too dear.课文讲解2
Lesson28 Five pound too dear.课文讲解3
Five pound too dear
Listen to the tape then answer the question below.
Why was even five pounds ‘too dear’?
Small boats loaded with wares sped to the great liner as she was entering the harbour. Before she had anchored, the men from the boats had climbed on board and the decks were son covered with colourful rugs from Persia, silks from India, copper coffee pots, and beautiful handmade silverware. It was difficult not to be tempted. Many of the tourists on board had begun bargaining with the tradesmen, but I decide not to buy anything until I had disembarked.
I had no sooner got off the ship than I was assailed by a man who wanted to sell me a diamond ring. I had no intention of buying one, but I could not conceal the fact that I was impressed by the size of the diamonds. Some of them were as big as marbles. The man went to great lengths to prove that the diamonds were real. As we were walking past a shop, he held a diamond firmly against the window and made a deep impression in the glass. It took me over half an hour to get rid of him.
The next man to approach me was selling expensive pens and watches. I examined one of the pens closely. It certainly looked genuine. At the base of the gold cap, the words ‘made in the U.S.A’ had been nearly inscribed. The man said that the pen was worth $50, but as a special favour, he would let me have it for $30. I shook my head and held up five fingers indicating that I was willing to pay $5. Gesticulating wildly, the man acted as if he found my offer outrageous, but he eventually reduced the price to $10. Shrugging my shoulders, I began to walk away when, a moment later, he ran after me and thrust the pen into my hands. Though he kept throwing up his arms in despair, he readily accepted the $5 I have him. I felt especially pleased with my wonderful bargain — until I got back to the ship. No matter how hard I tried, it was impossible to fill this beautiful pen with ink and to this day it has never written a single world!
New words and expressions 生词和短语
新概念英语第三册Lesson28 Five pound too dear.学习到此结束，同学们记得把课本的练习题做完留言哦