- Lesson1 A Puma at Large.
- Lesson2 Thirteen equals one.
- Lesson3 An Unknown Goddess.
- Lesson4 The double life of Alfred Bloggs.
- Lesson5 The Facts.
- Lesson6 Smash-and-grab.
- Lesson7 Mutilated Ladies .
- Lesson8 A famous monastery.
- Lesson9 Flying Cats.
- Lesson10 The loss of the Titanic.
- Lesson11 Not Guilty.
- Lesson12 Life on a desert island.
- Lesson13 It’s only me.
- Lesson14 A noble gangster.
- Lesson15 Fifty Pence Worth of Trouble .
- Lesson16 Mary had a little lamb.
- Lesson17 The Longest Suspension Bridge in the World.
- Lesson18 Electric currents in modern art.
- Lesson19 A Very Dear Cat .
- Lesson20 Pioneer pilots.
- Lesson21 Daniel Mendoza .
- Lesson22 By heart.
- Lesson23 One man’s meat is.
- Lesson24 A skeleton in the cupboard.
- Lesson25 The Cutty Sark.
- Lesson26 Wanted: a large biscuit tin.
- Lesson27 Nothing to Sell and Nothing to Buy.
- Lesson28 Five pound too dear.
- Lesson29 Funny or Not.
- Lesson30 The death of a ghost.
- Lesson31 A Lovable Eccentric.
- Lesson32 A lost ship.
- Lesson33 A Day to Remember.
- Lesson34 A happy discovery.
- Lesson35 Lesson35 Justice was Done.
- Lesson36 A chance in a million.
- Lesson37 The Westhaven Express .
- Lesson38 The first calender.
- Lesson39 Nothing to Worry About.
- Lesson40 Who’s who.
- Lesson41 Illusions of Pastoral Peace.
- Lesson42 Modern cavemen.
- Lesson43 Fully Insured.
- Lesson44 Speed and comfort.
- Lesson45 The Power of the Press.
- Lesson46 Do it yourself.
- Lesson47 Too High a Price.
- Lesson48 The silent village.
- Lesson49 The Ideal Servant.
- Lesson50 New Year resolutions.
- Lesson51 Predicting the Future.
- Lesson52 Mud is mud.
- Lesson53 In the Public Interest .
- Lesson54 Instinct or cleverness?
- Lesson55 From the Earth Greetings.
- Lesson56 Our neighbour, the river.
- Lesson57 Back in the Old Country.
- Lesson58 A spot of bother.
- Lesson59 Collecting.
- Lesson60 Too early and too late.
Lesson20 Pioneer pilots.
Lesson20 Pioneer pilots.
录音：Lesson20 Pioneer pilots.（美音）
录音：Lesson20 Pioneer pilots.（英音）
Lesson20 Pioneer pilots.单词讲解
New Word and expressions 生词和短语
Lesson20 Pioneer pilots.课文讲解1
Lesson20 Pioneer pilots.课文讲解2
Lesson20 Pioneer pilots.课文讲解3
Listen to the tape then answer the question below.
What was the name of the first plane to fly across the English Channel?
In 1908 Lord Northcliffe offered a prize of $1,000 to the first man who would fly across the English Channel. Over a year passed before the first attempt was made. On July 19th, 1909, in the early morning, Hubert Latham took off from the French coast in his plane the ‘Antoinette IV.’ He had travelled only seven miles across the Channel when his engine failed and he was forced to land on sea. The ‘Antoinette’ floated on the water until Latham was picked up by a ship.
Two days alter, Louis Bleriot arrived near Calais with a plane called ‘No. XI’. Bleriot had been making planes since 1905 and this was his lattes model. A week before, he had completed a successful overland flight during which he covered twenty-six miles. Latham, however, did not give up easily. He, too, arrived near Calais on the same day with a new ‘Antoinette’. It looked as if there would be an exciting race across the Channel. Both planes were going to take off on July 25th, but Latham failed to get up early enough, After making a short test flight at 4,15 a.m., Bleriot set off half an hour later. His great flight lasted thirty-seven minutes. When he landed near Dover, the first person to greet him was a local policeman. Latham made another attempt a week later and got within half a mile of Dover, but he was unlucky again. His engine failed and he landed on the sea for the second time.
New words and expressions 生词和短语
新概念英语第三册Lesson20 Pioneer pilots.学习到此结束，同学们记得把课本的练习题做完留言哦。